CDS August Residencies
Two weeks of communing, experimentation and collaboration for artists of colour
Chisenhale Dance Space (CDS) is offering four paid residencies for artists of colour between 12th – 23rd August (two residencies per week).
The August Residencies are intended as a laboratory for ideas and new collaborations to be nurtured in a supportive environment, and not a commissioning scheme. The results of your time during the residency do not have to be firmly defined in your proposal.
The residencies come as part of a period of refreshing the values of Chisenhale Dance, including a commitment to ensure it is a welcoming environment and meaningful resource for Members, particularly people of colour.
The open-ended nature of this opportunity is deliberate: it is to act as a warm introduction to artists curious about membership, while demonstrating a reaffirmed commitment to and appreciation of, current Members.
The four artists participating will each receive:
- One week of in-kind space at CDS (in either the Performance Studio or Rehearsal Studio, w/c 12th or w/c 19th August)
- £600 bursary towards fees and costs
- Follow-up conversation/surgery with Chisenhale Dance Artist Development Associate
- This residency opportunity is open to artists who are people of colour (Members and non-Members alike) working in dance, choreography and body-centred performance more broadly.
- This opportunity is open to artists who are not CDS Members. It is anticipated that non-Members applying for this opportunity are interested in joining the membership and participating further in CDS’ activities in the future.
- In keeping with CDS’ aims to be a ‘home for risk and experimentation,’ successful proposals are unlikely to have already had significant development or support elsewhere. Rather, the week of studio space should be used to explore ideas and approaches in their earliest forms.
- We acknowledge that CDS is not a fully accessible space, and regret that it has no step-free access. Further info on access is here.
- The bursary of £600 per residency includes all expenses.
- For artists requiring support towards access costs there is additional resource for this.
- While CDS cannot provide accommodation, we can support artists in identifying sharing opportunities via the members’ network.
The deadline for proposals is 10am, Thursday 27th June. Proposals will then be selected by a panel consisting of CDS Staff and Members.
To apply, please detail:
- Your background as an artist, and your practice currently;
- The idea or question you would like to explore during a one-week residency at Chisenhale Dance;
- Where you found out about the opportunity
In either text (300-500 words) or audio (2-3 minutes) and send to CDS Artist Development Associate, Salome Wagaine, on email@example.com.
If you would like an alternative format for this information, or you have any questions ahead of the deadline, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 981 6617.